Addition of a Selection Tool

edited July 2009 in Voila Discussions
The current editing of annotations in Voila seems somewhat awkward to me.

With the current interface, say you create a shape annotation, and then you want to edit the stroke. To accomplish this edit currently, one must click on the Organization tab, select the annotation, click back on the Tools tab, and then make the changes ... all because there is no way (that I can see) to select an existing annotation from within the Tools pane.

The simple solution would be to add a Selection tool in the Tools pane ... so the Voila toolbox would be more like that of a traditional Mac drawing app (remember MacDraw?).

Then, after adding one or more annotations, the user could simply choose the Selection tool, click on an annotation and make desired property edits.

Comments

• Hello Ray

Thanks for this feedback. We are currently looking into this and a solution would be finalized.

Meanwhile, you can use Command+L keyboard shortcut for 'select tool'. The select tool is present on the status bar, just below the work bench.

Regards
    Team Voila
  • Hello RayB

Thanks for this feedback. We are currently looking into this and a solution would be finalized.

Meanwhile, you can use Command+L keyboard shortcut for 'select tool'. The select tool is present on the status bar, just below the work bench.

Regards
    Team Voila
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I now see the small selection tool button, but would never have expected it to be way at the bottom of the window.

I still think the Selection tool needs to be right up there with the other tools where it is readily visible.

In general, you may want to reconsider why the other small buttons at the bottom of the screen could not also be relocated to the Tools pane ... with bigger buttons.

Why shouldn't all the property editing buttons be in the same area? Especially when there is plenty of room?

And speaking of having plenty of room ... maybe the tiny up/down arrows in the Properties area (like for stroke) could be made at least twice as big.

(I am reminded of the phone numbers on the back of credit cards ... although there is plenty of space they always seem to print the digits using font size 7!)
  • Hello RayB

This one went unanswered! Well thanks a lot for these feedback. While we cannot relocate all of them, maybe we can work on Select tool. As far as the arrow size for Stroke is concerned, we have tightly aligned that. If we alter the arrow size even by a pixel, we would have difficulties on the overall space under the Tools pallet. But we will see if there is any work around.

Thanks
    Team Voila