Bug report and feature requests

edited June 2009 in Voila Discussions
Hi,

Just purchased Voila. Imo the best image grabber/annotator currently on the market. Here‘s a quick bug report and feature request list.

Bugs:
A strange bug that I noticed: if you resize the canvas (make it larger than the original image) and then drag the image above the upper or left canvas border there is always a gap of 1 pixel of „empty space“ between the canvas border and the image border. If you drag the image below the lower or right border there is no gap at all as it should be. Please fix that.

I also noticed that it is not possible to drag an image out of the library to TextEdit.app or any other rich text editor. Although, dragging it to Mail.app does work. Please fix that.
---

Feature requests:
Is there any way to capture a window without its shadow border? If not please add it as a new feature. The freeware app SnapNDrag (not the pro version) can do this.

The user sharvey asked for it already in the forum, so I give my +1 for the feature to copy the selected image to the system wide macos clipboard (command + c). This basic level feature is highly needed.

I would be great if you could add the feature to create a new „empty“ image with user defined dimensions specified in a dialog window (with editable default dimensions for new „empty“ images in the prefs). Then the user would be able to drag and drop images from the Voila library or the finder on the clean/empty canvas of the new image.

Also nice would be an „import images“ menu item to be able to select one or more external images (from a choose file dialog window) to import to the Voila library in addition to the already existing way of dragging them with the mouse from the finder.

Please add a „Zoom to fit“ button in the toolbar and a keyboard shortcut for it.
---

Thanks in advance
Keep up the good work!

Comments

• 2 feature requests i forgot:

Always save the url and the title of the webpage that was grabbed (fully or partially) to show it in the image info panel as a clickable hyperlink. I think LittleSnapper does this.

If "Show image browser view" is active (the canvas is visible) and you click on an image on the capture tray it should be possible to scroll the capture tray horizontally with the mouse wheel. If you click on the canvas again the mouse wheel should scroll the canvas vertically. This would be really convenient.
  • edited June 2009
    Hello yoshimitsu

Thanks for the feature requests. Capturing the 'title' of the webpage that was grabbed or other image source is an essential feature and we would consider this.

>If "Show image browser view" is active (the canvas is visible) and you click on an image on the capture tray >it should be possible to scroll the capture tray horizontally with the mouse wheel. If you click on the canvas >again the mouse wheel should scroll the canvas vertically. This would be really convenient.

It depends on the mouse and setting that you have in the System Preferences. With an Apple mouse (round scroller), you can set the horizontal scrolling in the System Preferences. But if you are using any other mouse, the appropriate scroll options would be displayed in the System Preferences.

Check the image

Regards
    Team Voila
  • edited July 2009
    Here's another feature request.

I would like to have a keyboard shortcut for "Show Voila" ... maybe Command-Shift-V. I think this would be handy for opening the Voila window to access a previous capture.
  • I mapped other actions to the tilt left/right mouse buttons, so I do not want to change this system wide. Ok, I found out that my suggested „import images“ command is the already existing „open“ command. Could you reproduce the bugs I mentioned?

Here‘s another list of suggestions I consider necessary:

-In the .voila folder of every Voila library item (opened in PathFinder) there is always a sub folder named „Original“ that contains the unaltered original image. So there is no reason to not have a „restore to original“ command. So why it is not there?

-Add a slider that can be dragged to decrease/increase the size of the preview thumbnails in the library (on the rightmost position the preview thumbnail would fill the library area).

-Add menu item „Fit canvas to image elements“, so that the canvas shrinks to the smallest possible rectangle to house all image objects on it.

-Add menu item to merge/flatten all the images and all the other objects (text boxes, arrows etc) on the canvas to a flat single image. By now to do this I have this workaround: by drawing a crop rectangle that is larger than the canvas and clicking done all the objects are melted to a single flat image. Well, this works, but why not having a simple command for this?

-Add command to inverse the crop selection.

-Flip horizontal/vertical should work also for the cropping selection.

-Add menu item „stretch (selected) objects to fit canvas“.

-File -> Mail should insert all the selected images to a new email document, not just one. Right now you have to drag the selected images manually to a new email.

-Add menu to import an image from the macos clipboard to the library.

-Add menu to paste an image from the macos clipboard as a new object to canvas of the currently selected image with command + v.

-Add tool to copy the currently selected part of the image to the macos clipboard.

-Add tool to create a new image in Voila from the urrently selected part of the image.

-Add command „Send image to...“ to send the currently selected image to another app. This „send to app..“ list can be edited by the user in the prefs.

-Allow grouping and ungrouping of selected objects (image objects, boxes, blurs, stamps , etc.).

-Allow selecting a part of the current image to copy it to the clipboard and pasting it on the same or another image (just like in Preview.app).

-Add a tool to make the selected color of an image invisible (alpha), just like in Preview.app. The brilliant girl that is mentioned in the Global delight blog explains how easy this is in Preview.app here:

-Add menu „center selected objects on the canvas vertically/horizontally“

-Add the option to copy the capture (fullscreen, selection, object, menu) directly to the macos clipboard, instead of importing it to the library.

-Allow to drag the whole canvas with the mouse while holding the command button (or another key) for easy scrolling if the images zoomed so it is larger than the voila window, just like the „move“ tool in Preview.app.

-Add list view for files. The thumbnails are to small to show the full file name. Simply implement all the 4 views of Web2 Delight in Voila. Coverflow!

-Display the number of selected items and of all items in the collection at the bottom of the Voila window.

-When you position an object in the center of the canvas both horizontal and vertical lines should be visible at the same time, not only one.

-Allow resizing a group of selected images/objects: When you select multiple images/objects by dragging a selection rectangle over them or by command clicking them, the user should be able to resize all of them together so as he would resize a single object.

-Select the lastly created tool object automatically so the user could instantly edit it after it is inserted. The way it is now is inconvenient. Example: 1. Select Blur from the tools area 2. Draw a blur box in the canvas 3. Click on the „Select objects“ button or hit command + L 4. Click on that object to select it. 5 Now you can reedit it
    This could be much faster by skipping steps 3 and 4. If the user decides to create another blur box after step 2, the suggested automatic selection of the last blur box would be not a problem: after step 2 he could proceed with step 2.

+1 for a global "Show/hide Voila" toggle shortcut :)
  • Hello RayB

>I would like to have a keyboard shortcut for "Show Viola" ... maybe Command-Shift-V. I think this would be >handy for opening the Viola window to access a previous capture.

You can invoke Voila using Command+Shift+1

Regards
    Team Voila
  • edited June 2009
    Hello yoshimitsu

Bug 1 reported by you: A strange bug that I noticed: if you resize the canvas (make it larger than the >original image) and then drag the image above the upper or left canvas border there is always a gap of 1 >pixel of „empty space“ between the canvas border and the image border. If you drag the image below >the lower or right border there is no gap at all as it should be. Please fix that.

Voila: Thanks for reporting this. We are aware of this bug but it cannot be regenerated 100%. However, if you have a regenerated sequence, please pass it to us and we will fix this. You can also attach the images now in the forum.

Bug 2 reported by you: I also noticed that it is not possible to drag an image out of the library to >TextEdit.app or any other rich text editor. Although, dragging it to Mail.app does work. Please fix that.

Voila: We are aware of this bug; current version (v2.0.1) of Voila does not support drag and drop support to some of the documents. We are working on this to fix it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and new features. We are delighted with the kind of feedback you have provided :) We need more information on some of your observations.

- Flip horizontal/vertical should work also for the cropping selection.
    - Add menu item „stretch (selected) objects to fit canvas“.

Voila: Can you elaborate on the above mentioned topics along with scenarios?

-File -> Mail should insert all the selected images to a new email document, not just one. Right now you >have to drag the selected images manually to a new email.

Voila: You can attach multiple images to a Mail in the Image Browser view. If you are in the Workbench+Capture Tray view, only one image gets attached to the Mail. We will look into simplifying this.

-Allow to drag the whole canvas with the mouse while holding the command button (or another key) for >easy scrolling if the images zoomed so it is larger than the voila window, just like the „move“ tool in >Preview.app.

Voila: This feature is already available. Just press the Spacebar and scroll easily with the Hand cursor appearing on the Canvas.

-Add list view for files. The thumbnails are to small to show the full file name. Simply implement all the 4 >views of Web2 Delight in Voila. Coverflow!

Voila: We simply loved this suggestion! We will check if we can do that :)

-When you position an object in the center of the canvas both horizontal and vertical lines should be visible >at the same time, not only one.

Voila: We will work on this.
    : This is working fine. You can see both the guidelines when it is in the center.

>+1 for a global "Show/hide Voila" toggle shortcut :)

Voila: You can invoke Voila using Command+Shift+1

Keep sending your suggestions and feedback to improve this tool.

Regards
    Team Voila
  • Voila: Can you elaborate on the above mentioned topics along with scenarios?

- Flip horizontal/vertical should work also for the cropping selection.
    The cropping selection behaves just like a selected image or a selected object:
    You can drag it around
    You can resize it
    Why not add the ability to flip it horizontally/vertically?

- Add menu item „stretch (selected) objects to fit canvas“.
    Scenario: The user wants to increase or decrease an image in size
    Step 1: Resize the canvas
    Step 2: Select all images and objects on the canvas with command + A
    Step 3: Resize them all as one image
  • Make the whole image larger by shift dragging it:
  • Hello yoshimitsu

Thanks for the explanation and the attachments. We would look into these.

Regards
    Team Voila
  • Below are my comments/questions/suggestions after a few days of using Voila.

- Great work, this is as close to SnagIt as I've seen
    - The biggest drawback so far has been the lack of copy and paste into another program such as email or a slide

Questions:
    - How do I add a border around the image? (I've seen the edge options, I'm talking about a simple line)
    - How do I add a shadow around the image?
    - How do I resize an image? (not the canvas, the entire thing) For example, needing an image to be a specific height/width in pixels.
    - After I rotate an imagine, the corners are often off the canvas. Is there a way to drag and resize the canvas, keeping the image locked in the middle?

Suggestions:
    - I'd like to see the image size (in pixels) displayed at the bottom of the window.
    - Allow the creation of macros. For example: add border, reduce to 50%, and skew 20 degrees all at once.
  • Hi alanlepo

Thanks for the feedback and sharing your Voila experience :)

>- The biggest drawback so far has been the lack of copy and paste into another program such as email or a slide
    Currently Voila has a work around to drag the image to the Finder and then paste it, however, we would be supporting this feature.

>- How do I add a border around the image? (I've seen the edge options, I'm talking about a simple line)
    You need to use the Shape tool and then get the opacity reduced to Zero as a work around. We would be supporting the Border option in the future release

>- How do I add a shadow around the image?
    This would be considered in our feature list.

>- How do I resize an image? (not the canvas, the entire thing) For example, needing an image to be a specific height/width in pixels.
    You have to first select the image, the image adjusting knobs will appear on all the corners. Use them to adjust the size of the image. You can press the Shift key while resizing to maintain the Aspect ratio. We would considering the feature of adjusting the image as per the dimensions.

We thank you for all the suggestions and welcome them. We will see how we can handle them.

Feel free to leave more feedback, suggestions or comments here to improve the tool.

Regards
    Team Voila
  • Thank you for responding. However, I don't understand the resizing answer. If I select an image and resize it, the canvas to not change, and when I save the capture, it is the size of the canvas, not the image. I want to take the entire thing, and make it smaller. For example, take a 1024*768 screen shot, and make it 640*480.
  • Hello alanlepo

We were trying to explain how you can resize an image.

We know, your query is more to do with a feature request. The user should be able to alter/ scale down the image size as per the dimensions entered by the user.

Thanks for this feature suggestion and we would look into this.

Regards
    Team Voila